Saturday, August 8, 2009

Canadian Flopping Squrriel

Has anything in your world ever looked like it was something other than what it turned out to actually be? You know, like when you think it is safe to come into a room, where unbeknownst to you your cousin is standing in the dark ready to scream, " Boalahtheraha!" just to see what you will do. Or when you take that first bite that burger you ordered, from your favorite restaurant, and found that they made a veggie burger, not the double double you requested. Honestly, some people's kids... You know, normal things like that. Life altering unknowns.

Have you ever driven past something and thought it was something else? Like a tree looking like a deer in the bush, or a person wearing black clothing bends down and looks like a bear. Sometimes it is our eyes tricking us, and sometimes it is others doing it for us.

I drove through Stanley Park this week. It is Vancouver's largest park area. Constantly there are squirrels and other small animals crossing the street, which drivers are cruisin' at a whopping 30km/hr (That's (not) FAST!) and dodging the small rodents we canadians call "cute". You all know that if the squirrel had a tail without so much fluff we would love it like a rat, not a cat. I saw one of these squirrels lying on the road. Just as I got to it, thinking it was dead, not flat, but dead, it flopped a little bit! It looked like a fluffy Mexican Jumping bean, except it wasn't. This unforeseen soon-to-be-road-kill flopping maneuver scared me! I was NOT ready for that, at all!

Now I bet you are asking yourself, and tell me if I am right with this assumption, "what did Jody do?" I stopped the van and went to save it, or not. What would I do with a half dead squirrel? where would I take it to save it's rodently life? Who would I even call, besides Ghostbusters, of course? 911?411? My mom? Your mom? Honestly! I left it where it flopped to. It would be a quicker death if it got hit "well". (that last word was hard to write, yuck...)

Next time you see a Mexican Jumping Bean remember that not all things are as they appear.

No comments:

Post a Comment