The movie just ended, and now I am contemplating life, as I know it. Where am I? Who is in my world? Am I where I want to be, or even should be? Am I the only one who gets life altering questions set in her head during all of the hours she wants to go to bed, or does everyone have moments like this?
The pondering question, stated at the end of the movie challenged me, "how many people in my life make me feel extraordinary?", which led to, "am I, Jody, someone who makes people feel extraordinary?"
I don't know. I don't. Do I have people in my life that make me feel extra special? Yes. Do I have many? No. I believe that this is the case because we all tend to put people down to lift ourselves up in the eyes of the people around us; the North American society has shown us, in many ways, that you are "cool" when acting in this way. I totally disagree. A person becomes cool when they can lift people up, especially when the giving person is having a rough day, instead of shooting others down with a verbal assault. This shows confidence, self esteem, and maturity; putting others first is very hard to do, but makes all the difference in the world to the person you acknowledge. "The first shall be last, and the last shall be first."
Do I lift people up? Not as much as I should. Not as much as I want to. Not always at the times the other person needs to hear something great. I want to be that person though, so how do I, or we if you are with me on this, show the people in our lives how great they are? here are a few late night ideas I have come up with...
1. say something nice to someone, just because. I believe that the more we do this the more we will want to.
2. work on our own self esteem, confidence, and maturity around the concept of not needing to be our best when we are putting others down.
3. find ways to deal with ones' low points out of the face of others, as those are the moments when one tends to use the words that can blow up a life. Words do hurt, and can be harder to heal than physical injury. A few words can alter a person for life. Be careful of what you say.
I guess what I am trying to say is that I want to be surrounded with people who treat me like I am extraordinary, and I want to learn to share the love too. Do you?
Think about how great the world could be if we all lifted people up, instead of bringing them down.
sweet dreams.
No comments:
Post a Comment