Thursday, July 23, 2009

pride... not cool.

This past weekend I had the honour of helping out a good friend of mine. The more time I spend with my friend the more I saw how much we are alike; we both have a hard time in excepting help from people. Don't get me wrong, I am seeing this as a weakness in myself; this is not about her. The experience reminded me of the pride I have within my personality, which I completely blame on mom.

Growing up we weren't allowed to accept things from people, such as rides to places, food (not from strangers), and gifts of various levels. I learnt to feel guilty about asking for and accepting help from people, even if I needed it. A few years ago I was very sick and I still didn't ask for help, and when I did it was because I really, really needed it. Is anyone else like that, or is it just me?

Recently I have found a friend that is helping me out of this habit of pride, and my need to be independent and prove that I can do this on my own. She has told me, and made me promise, that I need to call her when ever I have big events in my life that are to be dealt with someone else. So I have started to. It is hard to get out of one's 30yr comfort zone. There were a few times that I didn't call her, but since I promised I have... I guess I am getting better. It takes time. Baby steps. The first time out of a comfort zone usually results in a very fast about-face to get out of the realm of discomfort. Then the next time one tends to stay in the uncomfortable area a little longer before running as fast as a Jack rabbit with it's tail on fire. Each time after that it gets a little easier to the point that there will be one time that one feels good about the decision that brought him/her to that place, again. it becomes your new habit and feels weird when you return to your old ways.

My point... Pride holds people back, even Jody, from great things (help, activities, opportunities, new friends, and so much more); life is missed out on when pride shows its face. I am going to choose from this point on to fight the discomfort that comes when my pride gets into my path. I am going to ask for help more often, and except it when it is offered. I am a one woman show who needs to share her struggles with the people who care.

Join me in this endeavor?...

No comments:

Post a Comment