Monday, March 7, 2011

We are who we want to be...

I have come to the conclusion that we are who we want to be, even if we don't want to be who we are.

Let me explain. I have heard it said that the situations we encounter we are faced with due to our decisions and choices we have made up to that point.

One of my friends, bless her heart, can (and will) write quite an impacting biography. Her experiences are comical, life altering, and at times heart breaking. The part of her story that helps confirm this theory is the fact that she finds herself in a situation, again, and again, and again... and is broken and confused every time she finds herself in the situation. I believe she gets there for a few reasons.

1) She has learned to make choices the same way every time similar situations arise, which places her in a scenario that creates the emotional stress that she knows well.

2) She makes decisions so she remains in her comfort zone. I know that we all tend to make decisions that do not put us out of our comfort zone, even if the zone if a zone of stress and discomfort. It is known, and people want to be where they feel "safe" (as some times the "safe" zone is not safe at all).

I find myself following the same habits. I have started to grow out of my comfort zone in creation of new comfort zones, but it is hard, and scary, as it is a step into the unknown and new territories.

Most people say that they are not happy with their lives, the way their life has turned out, or where their life may be going; I have been very discontented with where my life was going too. The ONLY way to change my life is to change the way I think, and how I make decisions, and then be ready to take-on the discomfort that comes with the results that comes with my new decisions. I do my best every day to make choices that help push me out of my comfort zone and to move me one step closer to an end that I do want to see realized.

I also believe that the ability of making preferred choices comes with knowing who we are, why we make the choices we make, and then know where we want to go. What is the legacy you want to leave when you pass? What dreams do you have deep inside of you? The first step is to set goals, and know where you want to go, then you are in a place to make the decisions that will get you from where you are today to where you want to get to. Education comes with this challenge too. Reading books, talking to people who have achieved what you want to achieve, listening to good CD's, and watching specific shows that will teach us about the skills we need to know to learn about who we are and what has taught us to make our decisions. It is our responsibility to utilize our new decision making skills and actively push our lives in the direction that we choose to move it.

Let's NOT let our old habits stagnate our life!

Harnessing our choices is a very effective way to harness our dreams and make them happen. It WILL NOT be easy, but IT WILL be worth it...

Stay strong... make good decisions... live the life you are excited to be living!


No comments:

Post a Comment