I am not saying, by any means, that I was illiterate; I could read by the age of three. I am saying that it was not an activity that I really grabbed onto while growing up. What I did grab onto was my brother's t-shirt(to wrestle him to the ground), my cat (to gently toss her into the dog's pen- again, and again), the wheel barrel( to help Gam in the garden), and of course (after the invention made into my house) the TV remote (to change the channel from my seat! Such a radical thing!). Please note none of these activities resemble the action of reading in any way.
I told my dad last week that I was reading a lot lately and he looked at me and asked, "Do you read?" That is proof that while growing up I did not read for "fun", "leisure", or even for school. He then proceeded to remind me that he not once saw me read a book at home, for "fun" till I moved out to go to College and even then he didn't see it, except for school. I read what I had to and that was about it (for the most part), till now; there is so much to learn from other people and their experiences!
Who knew you could learn stuff from reading?! Why didn't you tell me? I could be oober smart by now if I started reading back in High school, and even more than that if I started reading books in elementary school!
I thank my parents for doing the best job they could, with what resources they had, but maybe I could have won the Nobel Peace Prize by now if I had only read books instead of making up dances in our living room (or outside on the deck in the summer time) to the the LP record sounds of the Mini pops, Cool and the Gang, Huey Lewis and the News, and Bruce Springsteen.
Now that I see the relationship between reading and knowledge, and over time wisdom, I hope each one of you find a book that betters your world, find a great spot to sit, and partake in a reading sit-in of your own. Laugh. Cry. Think (no matter the pain that may cause). Grow (towards what kind of person you could be). Tell me all about your reading adventures!
Read on!
No comments:
Post a Comment