Sunday, October 18, 2009

a new POV




... Last night was a night-o-fun! It was a friends' birthday party, and she held a games night. My friends were there, games were being played, fun was being had. I got parched, so I crawled over a new friend and moseyed over to the food and drinks. There, I felt the groove of the tunes and waited for the game to progress to the point to which I needed to show my presence again. In the midst of the grooving I interacted with the adorable children that came with my friends, and then efficiently returned to my post on the couch, just in time to play my turn.

I had a flashback to the 1980's. My parents used to take me to their friend's house so that they could play Trivia Pursuit. I had to entertain myself, with the other kids, and usually fell asleep in some corner, curled up in the HELP position.

... I talked to my dad about "the" acreage, about a month ago, and we started talking about how the area has changed since the family moved out of the area: the greenery, the neighbours, the weather. He mentioned how he really enjoyed annoying one of our crotchety old neighbour by riding his dirt bikes in the back yard. I remember the bikes, the noise, and the "whoops", but I did not know that this caused disruption within the block-set of folks.

Things started to change. It hit me that at that time I was small, and he was in his mid-twenties, and early thirties. I am in that zone right now, that age grouping, my friends too. They are the ones with the kids though, just a bit younger than I was during the time of this event for my parents.

... Back in the day there were these venues called a "drive in" theatres. There are very few around in this day and age, but they are making a come-back, and being set up again for the current generations to enjoy and experience: the hot-dog stand, the candy within that same stand, the big screen movie, and the joy and privacy of watching the movie of choice from the cozy seats of a vehicle.

Clarification starts to flood my brain. When I was small my parents would take my brother and I to one of these venues, where I would lay in the back area of the, then new, 1978 station wagon, and sleep with the smell of popcorn wafting past our senses. I never actually saw the movies, but the experience is in my repertoire of memories; these are experiences that I could have, in an updated version (no classic station wagons... although now that I ponder it that would be way fun!), with my friends are the same.

... I am living the years my parents did, while I was growing up. I am now one of "my parents' friends". I am now the carrier of the sleeping children. I am now the "aunt" who spends time with my "nieces" and "nephews" by stuffing them with sugar and then taking him/her to a preferred venue (DQ, gas station, wherever), maybe the drive-in, and then brings him/her back to the parents exhausted and in a cranky mood. That's when I leave and the parents take over; renting is great!

I am now seeing the world from a new point of view, an adults', a parents', an aunts'. The world is not the same. I am now an adult, I see the world differently; I am seeing it as the adult seeing it as me as a child. At age 30, almost 31, I see the world from an adults' POV, who knew it would happen to me at such a young age...

A new point of view...

No comments:

Post a Comment