Thursday, April 2, 2009

me in the making

Today, I am who I am, yet not who I was, and definitely not who I will be.
Tomorrow, I will never reach; I will only ever have today to make the decisions about who I want to be, how I want to impact the world, and what I dream to do, in tomorrows' today.

Even though today a friend told me about what qualities they see in me, what kind of person they see me to be, and how much potential I have, I still strive to define that for myself. It is hard to see in yourself what others see in you. I feel like I don't really know who I am, yet others are able to define my characteristics. Is it because I don't have these descriptors on paper? Is it because I don't believe those traits are part of who I am? Is this what it is like to be humble?

Each time I become aware of a "flaw" in me I look for ways to better, correct, change, and alter that "flaw" so it becomes a strength. I am ever changing and becoming the woman God, hopefully, intended me to be.

How does one go about figuring out who they are? What are their dreams? What do they like, or dislike? What kind of impact on the world do they want to leave?

Is it through travel, or career choice? Is it through spiritual growth that pieces of who we are are revealed? Is it through the smile from a stranger that brightens your day? Is it in the laugh of a baby that shows you how much you can love? Is it the hardships, the easy times, the relationships, the extra curricular activities you partake in? The natural, innate, characteristics play a huge part too. The household you grew up in, the town you grew up in, the school you went to, your parents, your relatives, if you were bullied, if you were popular/ cool, and if people, even just one person, believed in you, are all factors to consider too.

All of these events can define, change, and/or solidify the person you are, today, but do you know who you are at this moment in time? or are you in the making too?

Go ahead, find out who you are and show the world that you are confident in this.

*Try making a list of 100 thing you want to do before you die(no matter how crazy they sound write them down). Be specific. This will at least show you things that interest you, goals you had deep inside you just waiting to be written down, or maybe that you do have goals and dreams, and now it will be a bit easier to define what those are, for yourself. 

Some examples would be...

Swim with sharks on the Great Barrier Reef * Travel to India and ride an elephant * Work at an orphanage in South America * Climb Machu Picchu via the Inca Trail * Learn to surf in Byron Bay, Australia * Fall in love * Fall out of love * Do one thing that scares me every day *  make the wish of a child come true * Be in two places at once * Become financially independent * Be a millionaire * write a book * Tell my parents I love them * Go into space * Make a quiche * Be known for being a Christian * (and so on... you get the gist)

No comments:

Post a Comment