I went over to the house late afternoon, on Friday. I let the dogs in, and turned on a movie. Not too complicated. About 30 minutes after I sat down to watch the movie I thought I heard knocking at one of the doors, but I wasn't sure so I didn't go see who was there. I don't tend to answer the door at houses I watch, unless I know someone is coming. Then this person wrung the door bell. Now here is the problem I didn't know which door to go to, so I just followed the dog, who went racing down stairs. I got there, and there was no one there. I then proceeded to go to the front door to see if someone is there. I looked through the peep hole and did not see anyone there either. Besides, if I did want to open that door I don't think I could have, it was bolted shut. Not seeing anyone I went back to watching the boob-tube and hoped the person, or ghosty, would go away. They did.
About an hour before I wanted to go to bed I put the dogs back outside and returned to my perch on the couch. About five minutes later I heard small bell noises, and thought it was kids outside, or something; I didn't think much of it, till a cat jumped on the couch. I was not ready for a cat to be in the house. Although, this did answer the question, "does Whiskas make dog food?" I went to let the dogs back in, and this cat got out. He looked calm, as if he usually goes outside, so I didn't think much of it. Most of the time, I find, that when cats have bells on their collars it is to scare the animals they may prey on. I did try to bring him in, but was unsuccessful.
Now picture this... The dogs are racing around the house, and I hear the same bell noise. Did the cat get back in the house? How? Where? Am I going crazy? BLAM! Another cat showed its' face in the house. I was still curious as to why I had not been told about these cats, but whatever. I checked and called for the cat who got outside, twice before going to bed. My attempts were futile. This would have been more successful, I think, if I knew the names of the animals I was caring for. No matter, the cat was destined to stay outside for the night.
At 12:30 am one of the dogs started whimpering and pawing at the gate, so I went to check on them, thinking it needed outside. I was wrong. The emergency sprint down the hall to the bathroom was to drink out of the toilet. The dogs wouldn't settle down after that, so I let them roam the house, in a limited fashion till morning. Every time my arm would drop off the side of the couch, where I was trying to sleep, one of the dogs would slime it, rub against it, and basically run in circles around it. Needless to say I did not sleep well that night. I woke up in the morning, let the dogs out, looked for the cat, and went home to sleep. I will be back in the afternoon to check on the dogs and look for the cat.
I returned to the house at about 3:30 pm. I let myself in, and locked the door behind me, as I always do when I am in someone else's home. I let the dogs in, put my stuff down, and then went to look for the cat in the backyard, as I had come into more information about the cats. A) they do have two cats. b) they are inside cats. Oops. I made sure the door shut behind me so that the other cat did not get out. I called for the cat, and looked around the backyard. Nothing. I went to go back into the house and found that the door, which I thought was unlocked, was not. Not good. Not good at all.
I tried to open all the doors: no luck. I started to realize what this meant. I could not leave: no car keys. I could not call for help: no phone numbers memorized any more. I couldn't get a cab: no money, or sources to it. I could not walk home: too far. Basically I was stuck, outside. I needed to use my super- hero- save- Jody- skills. I went across the street to borrow a phone. I only had one phone number in my head, so I tried it; I got the machine; I left a dire cry for help kind of message. I then remembered my tax lady lived down the street and she would know the number to my landlords (same tax lady); so I walked. I knocked. I squealed with excitement to see Pat open the door! I was saved. She looked up the number. I called. They answered. I was saved... kind of.
I was soon to have a key for my car, but my ID, all forms of money or access to it, car insurance, phone, day timer, medicine for my cold, and so much more were locked inside this house and at the mercy of the animals, as I left my bag on the floor on the kitchen. Looking back it probably wasn't the smartest idea. My bad. I returned to the house where I was earlier that afternoon and where my friends were waiting for me. They contacted the people who owned the house, as I did not have contact numbers either, and let them know of the new situation; the dogs were in the house with my purse.
It all turned out alright, except that people kept trying to call me to make a time to meet to return my bag, but my phone was in the bag. I had a lot of missed calls, including one of rescue; the one number I could remember came to get me at the house, but I had left by then. I have amazing friends! I locked my stuff in the house, and more than 24 hours later I got it back; I didn't sleep well; I lost their cat (for about 24 hours). What a weekend! I hope yours was a little less eventful! I have a feeling that this couple will not ask me to house sit again. :-s
No comments:
Post a Comment